How Cub Scouting Works
Scouting is a year-round program uniquely designed to meet the needs of the full family. The program offers fun and challenging activities that promote character development and physical fitness. Family involvement is an essential part of the program, and parents are encouraged to play an active role in making the most of the short time they have to impact the lives of their children.
Cub Scouts have the time of their lives making new friends and learning new things in an environment designed to help them succeed. From building a Pinewood Derby® car to learning how to roast the perfect marshmallow at a family camp out, your child will LOVE being a Cub Scout. So if your child is in the kindergarten through fifth grades, or 6 to 10 years old, then it’s time to have some fun with the Cub Scouts!
Your Child is a Member of a Den…
- A den is made up of no more than eight children who are the same age and/or grade.
- The den meets two to three times a month. One of the den meetings each month is a “Go See It” or field trip.
- The den has a den leader, but the den leader shares the planning of the den meeting with the parents.
Your Child is a Member of a Pack…
- A pack consists of several dens and meets once a month.
- The Cubmaster leads the monthly pack meeting, but each den will have a part in the pack meeting.
- Some months, the pack meeting will have special themes such as Pinewood Derby®, Blue & Gold banquet, or guest speakers. Other months may be devoted to recognizing the Scouts for the projects they have completed by the presentation of beads, belt loops, activity pins or rank advancements.
Cub Scout Advancement Plan
In Scouting, advancement is the process by which a member meets certain requirements and earns recognition. The Cub Scout advancement program is a blend of activities Scouts do in their homes and activities they do in a den meeting setting. As requirements are completed, Scouts are awarded recognition items to mark their progress. Regardless of grade, all Scouts who join Cub Scouts start by earning the Bobcat badge. After receiving the Bobcat badge, a boy works on the requirements based on their grade level.
Kids in Kindergarten or 6 Years Old
Kids in First Grade or 7 Years Old
Kids in Second Grade of 8 Years Old
Kids in Third Grade of 9 Years Old
Kids in Fourth & Fifth Grade or 10 Years Old
Cub Scouting means “doing” – from camping to hiking to going on field trips or doing projects that help your hometown and the people who live there.
In Cub Scouting, children and their families have fun and adventure in a program that builds character and instills values.
Cub Scouting’s volunteer leaders work with Scouts and their families to improve their communities by enriching the lives of the families who live there.
Cub Scouts enjoy outdoor experiences as they participate in the variety of activities such as field trips, hikes, nature and conservation experiences, and outdoor games.the Scout Oath and Law.
Scouting promotes activities that lead to personal responsibility and high self-esteem. As a result, when hard decisions have to be made, peer pressure can be resisted and the right choices can be made.
The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.
THE CUB SCOUT UNIFORM
The basic Cub Scout uniform has the following parts;
1. Shirt—The official uniform shirt is available with long or short sleeves and has button-flap pockets.
2. Pants— Shorts, long pants, skorts, and roll up pants all are in official blue.
3. Belt—Official navy-blue web belt with metal buckle.
4. Socks—Official socks are available in three lengths: ankle, crew, and knee.
5. Hat—Official hat with rank specific (grade level) emblem.
6. Neckerchief—Triangular neckerchief with rank specific (grade level) color and logo. Official BSA neckerchiefs are the only neckerchiefs that boys should wear.
7. Neckerchief slide—Official gold-tone metal slide with rank specific (grade level) emblem. Boys may wear handmade neckerchief slides.